Forest Park Civic Association Meeting Minutes: April 12, 2022

Forest Park Civic Association Meeting

Date: 12 April 2022

Location: Epworth United Methodist Church and Zoom

Meeting called to order @ 7:03 PM by Lou Bernard, Secretary

The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.

Attendance was taken via roll call/Zoom Participant List.

Due to the sudden passing of our friend and  president, Scott Prigan, a moment of silence was held in his honor. Lou explained that a meeting was held on March 25th by members of the executive board and some past presidents to decide on how to move forward. Ed Vanasdale was chosen to temporarily head the FPCA as president, and Ken Gilbert as vice president until the election cycle at the end of 2022. At this meeting, a vote was taken by those present and on Zoom, and both were installed into their new positions.

Bob Hinebaugh expressed his sadness of the tragedy of Scott’s passing, and thanked Ed and Ken for stepping up to fulfill the positions.

OFFICER REPORTS

President’s Report  Ed Vanasdale – evanasdale@insight.rr.com – No Report

Vice President’s Report  Ken Gilbert – kgilbert78@att.net  – Absent – No Report

Secretary’s Report  Lou Bernard –  loubernard3@gmail.com

1) Attendance:

  • Officers/Committee Chairs Present:  EV, LB, CL, RW, MS, DVM, AR, ER, SB, DP 
  • Officers/Committee Chairs Absent: FQ, SL, KG, LK-B
  • Area Reps in Attendance: 2, 5, 6, 9, 11, 12
  • Area Reps Absent: 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 10, 13, 14 (Areas 7, 13, and 14 remain vacant )
  • 30 people in attendance (25 in person, 5 on Zoom)

2) March’s minutes were reviewed and approved.

Treasurer’s Report  Cheryl Lutman – cllutman17@gmail.com

1) 6 new household memberships

2) Expenses: Renewal of our post office box for another year, Flowers for Scott Prigan’s service, Multiple checks for security clearing at the beginning and end of the month, and 2 months of Forester printing

3) We ended this fiscal year at a deficit of $2,881.47. Household memberships were down almost $1,950 from budget, which was based on prior years, and business memberships were down $225. Along with that, Forester revenue (both voluntary contributions and advertising revenue) were down $412. Security donations were up (yea!) by $226. We did receive additional unspecified donations of $719, which helped cover some of these items.

4) Membership expenses were way down. A big part of that was giving people the option to cover the PayPal fees and a big “thank you”! to those who did. Several of the other items are due to events not happening (Outreach Day, Social Activities, parade). With COVID restrictions easing, and people looking for events, Cheryls foresees those going back up. In that case, our 2022 – 2023 budget will be a deficit budget without an increase in memberships and other revenue. Cheryl will have a final budget out by the end of the week for comment.

Public Relations Report  Mary Sguerra – Mary.Sguerra@HERrealtors.com

Saturday, May 21st for the Garage Sale this spring. There will be flyers at the entrance. If you would like to be listed in the flier, and support the FPCA, you can fill out the Garage Sale form in this Forester and enclose $5.

Forester Editor’s Report  Rita Woeste – forester_ed@fpcivic.org

1) The deadline for the May issue is April 14th. The deadline for the June issue is May 13th. It will be mailed on May 21st, and include the membership drive information.

2) We are still looking for articles all of the time. If you have a specialty or interest, start a monthly column!

3) We still have a core group of 7 volunteers who stuff the newsletter bags each month. 

4) We are currently looking for a delivery coordinator. Your main responsibility would include (but not be limited to) keeping a list of all delivery volunteers and their contact info. PLEASE contact Rita if you are interested.

Supplemental Security Report  Daryl Van Mercetta – dvanmercetta@gmail.com, 

    Katie Van Mercetta – kvanmercetta@gmail.com – Dan Yandrich (CPD Liaison Officer)   

     dyandrich@columbuspolice.org

1) A few calls about cars being illegally parked. Remember to call 311 or the police non-emergency number. A few house checks have been called in and made by the supplemental security company.

2) Officer Dan Yandrich (FPCA liaison officer) : a) the CPD will be getting new uniforms, b) there is a high numbers of car thefts in the area (Kias are being targeted), c) the car theft rate at Easton in very high, d) the impound lot is full, so even if the police write tickets for abandoned vehicles, they will not be towed. Still report them.

Business Representative  Sheridan Landin – sheridanlandon@yahoo.com – Absent

    Alan Ray – aray.bergahorn@gmail.com

1) Sheridan and Alan have created a list of past and present business members and are working to call members who have dropped their memberships and get them signed up again.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Welcome Committee Chair Ellin Ray – eclaire1226@gmail.com 

Ellin has Welcome folders. Area reps please contact Ellin to get your folders and deliver them to our new neighbors.

Volunteer Coordinator Scott Biggs – volunteerfpca@gmail.com

1) Thanks to all the volunteers who are helping us right now. We are getting new volunteers and that is awesome.

2) Thanks to Reyne and Dan Kaiser for landscaping around the wall near Sandalwood and Yellowood.The owners of the property bought the materials, and Reyne and Dan brought the muscle. It looks wonderful. Thank you from all of us.

3) Members around the old pool are looking to work together to clean up the mess of a parking lot.

4) Rick Bennett and Cara Greenburg hosted a Game Night at the Karl Rd. Library. It was a huge success. Look for future nights-posted on Facebook.

5) Sat., May 21st is an Envelope Stuffing Event for the membership drive. It will take place at Schoedinger’s at 1:30 PM. Contact Scott if interested in helping.

6) 1st Tuesday in August-the FPCA and the YMCA will team up to host a National Night Out Party. Stay tuned for volunteer opportunities and info in the newsletters and on Facebook.

7) There seems to be a new energy in the FP area and people are ready to work together to get things done. Contact Scott if you are feeling this too!

8) New Volunteer of the Month Program. This month went to Lou Bernard, FPCA Secretary. Through the tragic loss of Scott Prigan, Lou gathered the board and past presidents together to figure out a way to keep the FPCA moving forward, and he worked through Covid to figure out how to broadcast the meetings, he and Scott were instrumental in the FPCA receiving their 501(c)(3) status and continues to work on other projects and provide the monthly minutes for the FPCA. 

Social Activities Report Liz Kengeter-Bash – ekengeter@gmail.com – Absent – No Report

NCC Representative  Ken Gilbert – kgilbert78@att.net – Absent

1) Napoleon Bell works with the Sheriff’s office in the Department of Diversity, Equality and Inclusion spoke about what the office is doing to stay current. Discussed what CrimeStoppers are doing to stop the illegal dumping in Columbus.

NCC Development Representative Ed Vanasdale – evanasdale@insight.rr.com 

       Dave Paul – dwpaul@fpcivic.org 

6 Cases, but only 4 in/near the Forest Park area

1) Apartment Residential to rezone to permit the construction of a 3-story multifamily residential building containing 46 apartment units and 1st level common areas. Former Beechcroft pool site-6000 Beechcroft Rd, 43229. Approved with conditions.

2) Rezone to provide additional indoor warehousing, storage and parking uses for the adjacent retail building on a separate parcel. 2590 Morse Rd, 43229 (Surplus World) Approved on condition to add a bike rack on property.

3) Council variance to permit the operation of a state-licensed Type A daycare facility in a residential district. Esther M. Jefferson, 2199 Lilacwood Ave, 43229. Approved.

4) Variance to accommodate the planned construction by the City of Columbus of a roundabout on Maple Canyon Ave. and concomitant loss of pre-construction frontage providing a portion of the current setback: 5679 Maple Canyon Ave, 43229. Approved.  (These notes have been adapted from the NCC Dvpt. Committee minutes.)

Website Administrator Dave Paul – dwpaul@fpcivic.org – Scott Biggs – volunteerfpca@gmail.com

www.fpcivic.org is the site. If you have any suggestions to make the website better, please contact us.

Don’t forget there is a Forest Park Neighborhood Facebook Group where you can get lots of good info.

Old Business

None

New Business/Announcements/Ideas

1) Ideas for guest speakers: City council reps, Sarah Pomerory-city attorney, someone from the 311 call center, the new director of Recs & Parks. If you have any ideas, please call us or come to the next meeting.

2) We need to get the Block Watch up and running. It has been on hiatus since Covid. The CA is not the appropriate place to discuss all the crime issues. We need a volunteer to head this up – Ed and Ken will be willing to mentor you in the process.

3) We need volunteers for the 4th of July Parade and the Bikes and Trikes competition. Please contact Scott Biggs for more info.

4) The next meeting will be live at the church and on Zoom: May 9, 2022 @ 7:00 pm.

Meeting adjourned at 8:16 PM

Minutes submitted by Lou Bernard, Secretary

Leave a Comment. (On this Post only. Please see Contact Page for other concerns.)

Your email address will not be published.