Forest Park Civic Association Meeting
Date: 13 Sep 2022
Location: Epworth United Methodist Church
Meeting called to order @ 7:04 PM by Ed Vanasdale
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Attendance was taken via role call.
President’s Report Ed Vanasdale firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thanked VP Trevor for his hard work on a successful Nat’l Night Out.
- If you get an email from anyone on the board asking you to help them by buying gift cards, please ignore, it is a scam. We would never do this by email.
- Area resident Michael Cote spoke and brought flyers about the upcoming 2nd Annual Northland Unity Festival. 60 small businesses, non-profits, and area vendors. The Mayor and head of the Dept. of Neighborhoods will be in attendance. They will love to hear your ideas–come and put a bug in their ear. Lots of music and dancing.
Vice President’s Report Trevor Secord email@example.com
- National Night out took place in the First Week of August at the North YMCA. It went well for a first year event. A decent turnout so thank you for all who made it out. We will plan for this next year.
- The NCC meeting spent most of its time talking about continued car thefts, new liaison officers and hotel/motel proposals for new housing alternatives that are positive and negative.
Secretary’s Report Lou Bernard – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Officers/Committee Chairs Present: EV, TS, LB, CL, MS, RW, AR, ER, SB, MS, KG, DP
- Officers/Committee Chairs Absent: FQ, DVM, KVM, SL
- Area Reps in Attendance: 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, 11
- Area Reps Absent: 3, 4, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 (Areas 4, 7, 13, and 14 remain vacant )
- July’s minutes were voted on and approved. There were no Aug. minutes due to the NCC Picnic.
Treasurer’s Report Cheryl Lutman – email@example.com
- We are about halfway to meeting our overall budget of $27,589, with $17,601 received. In the month of August, we received 44 household memberships – thank you!! We have met and exceeded our income budget for Beautification and the Forester, and we are about halfway to meeting our advertising goal. Between those two goals, we fund about 80% of the cost of the Forester. For Security, we’ve budgeted $2,000 in additional contributions, to fund about 20% of the anticipated cost. We are very close to meeting this goal! My big concern is we have received no business memberships since this budget year began, and we haven’t really received any since February. We trust that the team continues to work on our local businesses.
- In terms of expenses, all the PayPal fees were covered by our members this month – thank you all! We’re about half way on the cost of Foresters, and Rita purchased enough bags to last through February of next year. The total cost of our parade (float + bikes and trikes) did exceed the budget, but not significantly. The big categories that have had no, or very minimal expenses are our social committee, and the Island Maintenance. I do see the islands being mowed, but I have received no invoices for that cost. The $150 spent to date merely includes the cost to repair the sign boxes.
- We are, at a minimum, 120 memberships short this year. FP residents PLEASE support your civic association and all of the good works we do. Fill out your membership forms and mail them in, or go to our website and do so online. We need your help NOW!
Public Relations Report Mary Sguerra – Mary.Sguerra@HERrealtors.com
FP Garage Sale is happening this weekend – Sat. Sept. 17th. Mary is looking for volunteers to help out. Garage Sale participants are down by about half.
Forester Editor’s Report Rita Woeste – firstname.lastname@example.org
- We need help in the Forester delivery area. We need to get the file of Forester deliverers from David Laughlin. There are about 200-400 people not getting the Forester. We need a new Delivery Coordinator. Please volunteer.
- We need lots of articles and ads.
Supplemental Security Report Daryl Van Mercetta – email@example.com,
Katie Van Mercetta – firstname.lastname@example.org Dan Yandrich (CPD Liaison Officer) 614.645.1418
- There have been narcotics complaints coming in. Please know, Officer Yandrich will pass the info on to the narcotics detectives. He does not do this work. They are working on it.
- The CPD is working on the homeless camp along the on ramp of 71 N.
- The CPD and city attorney are constantly working the area hotels.
- Since the CPD is short staffed, officers will no longer be dispatched for fender benders. Take pictures, get info and call your insurance companies.
- The KIA and Hyundai thefts continue to be a problem.
- Be safe out there. There are large numbers of crazy drivers out there.
Business Representative Sheridan Landin – email@example.com
Alan Ray – firstname.lastname@example.org No Report
Welcome Committee Chair Ellin Ray – email@example.com
Passed out some Welcome Folders for new residents.
Volunteer Coordinator Scott Biggs – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thanked all volunteers. Volunteers of the Months were given out: Mary Squerra – July, Rita Woeste – August, Dave Paul – September.
- We need a Block Watch captain. If you are interested, please contact Scott.
Social Activities Report Vacant
NCC Representative Ken Gilbert – email@example.com
- Oct. 8 and Nov. 12, are the dates for the next 161 clean-up. Look for more info in the Forester.
2. Sarah Pomeroy had 2 good reports: 1) the bar at 161/Karl is closed, and 2) The Norwood Hotel is under scrutiny to clean up.
- Mid Sept. Latino Month in Columbus. Look in the paper for more info.
NCC Development Representative Ed Vanasdale – firstname.lastname@example.org
Dave Paul – email@example.com
NCC heard 5 cases only one (1) pertained to the FP area: Case #5 to permit the conversion of an existing 110-room, 4-building motel to 105 apartment units, with a limitation text to cap density at 33.8 du/AC and address development and design standards; and a concurrent Council variance to vary building setback, perimeter yard width, dumpster location, interior landscaping, parking setback, and minimum number of parking spaces required, to accommodate existing site conditions to the requirements of the AR1 district) @ 1294-1300 East Dublin Granville Rd, 43231
- The Committee approved (16-0 w/ 2 abstentions) a motion (by FPCA, second by WRA) to RECOMMEND DISAPPROVAL of the application.
This was later voted down by the City of Columbus Development Commission!! Congrats and thanks to the FP/NCC reps for their dedication to keeping our neighborhood in good shape.
Website Administrator Dave Paul – firstname.lastname@example.org Scott Biggs – email@example.com
Construction on the roundabouts on Maple Canyon has begun with underground work.
- The Beautification Awards have been tabled for this year. There was a lack of entries and due to budget shortfall, it makes sense.
- The next FPCA meeting will be October 10th at Epworth United Methodist Church at 7 PM.
Meeting adjourned at 8:24 PM
Minutes submitted by Lou Bernard, Secretary