Category Archives: Meeting Minutes

Meeting Minutes from FPCA meetings

Forest Park Civic Association Meeting Minutes: October 13, 2020

Forest Park Civic Association Meeting

Meeting Date: 13 October  2020 (via ZOOM)

OFFICER REPORTS

President’s Report   Felix Quachey – fquachey [at] AmFam [dot] com

  1. 7:02 PM Meeting called to order. Pledge of Allegiance was said.
  2. Update from Sarah Pomeroy, city attorney, on Hedgewood. The court date was set in Sept. At this point, the owner and city have agreed to keep the property closed for the next couple of months. Working on the final draft of what the nuisance property agreement to be filed with the court will look like. The owners are doing their best to cooperate with the city.
  3. George Schmidt brought up issues of the deteriorating FP street signs and replacing them. The city doesn’t provide signs, we are looking into costs for signs. Ed VanA. did a complete drive of FWE/FPW, 10 streets tie into the neighborhood, but only 5 signs-all are damaged. Some are missing. All signs are weather damaged in some way. Maybe would be a good time to redesign. Should a sign be placed at every street coming into the neighborhood? 
  4. Police Liaison Officer:Officer Scott Clinger: Major issues: 1) Arborwood-homicide, 3 people shot, 1 died. In the apartments.  2) The Beechcroft  Newsstand-a robbery, the person behind the desk was armed. It was a shootout. One robber was killed, and the clerk was hurt. An arrest warrant was put out for the other robber. 3) Hotel update: Norwood Inn and Suites, they appear to be doing all they are asked to do. The Red Roof Inn is very problematic. Prostitiution and other issues. The city is getting ready to file charges on them. We have no idea what is going on with the hotel that was holding the COVID+ people; the parking lot is empty. There is security inside, but there is no one staying there.

Vice President’s Report  Scott Prigan – scottprigan+fpca [at] gmail [dot] com

  1. Still working on 501(c)(3) project. Form 1023 is ready to go! Need EIN first–waiting for it to be issued.

Secretary’s Report  Lou Bernard – loubernard3 [at] gmail [dot] com

  1. Attendance will be taken via Participant’s List.
    1. Officers and Committee Chairs in Attendance: FQ, SP, DH, LB, RW, MS, DVM, KVM, EV, AR, ER, MS, and SL. 
    2. Area Representatives in attendance: 9, 11, 12
    3. Area Representatives Absent: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10,13, 14
  2. Minutes from last month have been approved.
  3. Over 25 people showed for this month’s Zoom meeting. Thanks to all who attended.

Treasurer’s Report  Dan Hartzell – danbob1 [at] email [dot] com

  1. $775+ for membership, 1 business membership 
  2. $18.29 net income for the month–we have passed our membership from last year by 1!  More memberships have come in, and are in the process of being recorded.
  3. We are currently very close to breaking even, just a little under budget.
  4. The budget was accepted and passed. See budget in this month’s Forester

Public Relations Officer’s Report  Mary Sguerra – Mary.Sguerra [at] HERrealtors [dot] com

  1. Rec’d phone calls from Hazelwood. Work trailers in the street. Suggested that they call 311. Mary drove by to check it out. No laws or code being broken.
  2. Another call about a house that was using old tires as planters. She let them know that this is not a FPCA issue, and they are allowed to decorate that way if they want. 
  3. Beggar’s Night-Oct.29, 6-8 pm. The FPCA is not having any events for the Halloween holiday due to COVID-19.
  4. The Karl Rd. Library is open for browsing and getting books. – Ken Gilbert

Forester Editor’s Report   Rita Woeste – forester_ed [at] fpcivic [dot] org

  1. Deadline for the Forester is the 15th. Nov. deadline is 13th (for the Dec. Forester)
  2. David Laughlin reports-We have new deliverers. Yay! Thanks for stepping up.
  3. We have only 100 extra copies of the Forester. If you know of places that could use copies, please contact Rita

Supplemental Security Officer’s Report  Daryl Van Mercetta – dvanmercetta [at] gmail [dot] com, Katie Van Mercetta – kvanmercetta [at] gmail [dot] com 

  1. Officer Clinger covered most of it.
  2. There were a few home checks by the Supp. Security, and all homes have been safe and secure.
  3. Don’t call the Supp.Sec. company if you see problems. Call the Police! Please talk to your neighbors first if you feel safe, maybe you can work it out first!

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Business Representative’s Report  Sheridan Landin – sheridanlandon [at] yahoo [dot] com , Alan Ray – aray.bergahorn [at] gmail [dot] com

  1. One new business membership–Smoke Outlet on Dublin-Granville Rd.
  2. Sheridan is continuing to go up and down 161. He has made 15 new contacts, he is trying to push them to join.

Welcome Committee Chair’s Report  Ellin Ray – eclaire1226 [at] gmail [dot] com

  1. Not going door to door until this pandemic is over. When the pandemic is over, we will have lots of welcome folders to deliver!

Volunteer Coordinator’s Report  Mike Stone – msto0103 [at] yahoo [dot] com

  1. Area 3 Rep–Ryan Finkey will step into the role.
  2. Fran Ryan, The Village, is distributing flashlights to seniors during the potential upcoming bad weather. Look for info from Mike in the Forester.
  3. We have been getting volunteers that are interested in helping in beautification!
  4. We are still planning on a door hanging membership update in the next month.
  5. Dave Paul will get a membership list to Mike very soon of the people who have joined in the past, but haven’t yet.

Social Activities Chair’s Report  Pam Weaver – pweaver1208 [at] gmail [dot] com 

  1. There is nothing currently being planned since we are in the middle of the pandemic.
  2. Beggar’s Night-Oct.29, 6-8 pm. The FPCA is not having any events for the Halloween holiday.

NCC Representative’s Report  Scott Prigan – scottprigan+fpca [at] gmail [dot] com

  1. Karl Road Library is a polling place, thus closed election day. Otherwise some browsing allowed, etc 
  2. Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission Trail Project — a BIG DEAL was shared. eventually bikeways from Hamilton Rd to Antrim Lake etc. NCC gave a letter of support to the project!

NCC Development Representative’s Report  Ed Vanasdale – evanasdale [at] insight [dot] rr [dot] com

  1. Case 1) A convenience store/fast food/fuel–out by Hamilton Rd. – NCC rec. Approval
  2. Case 2) Did not approve a multifamily housing unit 
  3. Case 3) Sheetz is scheduled to be built at old Walgreens across from old Giant Eagle,975 E. Dublin-Granville Rd.
  4. Case 4) Recommended to approve a multi-family housing unit on Maple Canyon.
  5. Case 5) Recommended to approve Nat’l Church Residence senior housing unit to be built in Salem Village.
  6. Case 6) Recommended to approve the height change of a detached garage on the Hardman property

Website Administrator’ Report  Scott Prigan – scottprigan+fpca [at] gmail [dot] com – No Report

Old Business  Felix Quachey – fquachey [at] AmFam [dot] com

New Business  Felix Quachey – fquachey [at] AmFam [dot] com

  1. Looking for people to join a committee/team to work on the sign project: Ed VA, Felix Q, Daryl VM,and Lou B.
  2. Tim & Lisa Dove – Beautification Award Winner – on Lindenwood have trains in the backyard. Look for a sign in the front yard when it’s fine to come and visit! Look on Facebook for notices as well! 

8:30 Meeting Adjourned

Submitted by Lou Bernard, FPCA Secretary

Forest Park Civic Association Meeting Minutes: September 8, 2020

Forest Park Civic Association Meeting

8 Sept 2020 – Online Zoom Meeting (21 people on Zoom call. Thanks to all who attended.)

Meeting called to order and Pledge of Allegiance opened the meeting @ 7:00 PM by Scott Prigan

Roll Call: Taken by Lou Bernard  –  loubernard3 [at] gmail [dot] com

Attendance: Officers and Committee Chairs in Attendance: SP, DH, LB, RW, DVM, KVM, MS, EV, SL, AR, MS, ER

Officers and Committee Chairs Absent: FQ, PW

Area Representatives in attendance: 3, 11

Area Representatives Absent: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14

Officer’s Reports

President’s Report: Felix Quachey – fquachey [at] AmFam [dot] com – Absent

  1. Felix was on vacation, so Vice President Scott Prigan ran the meeting.

Vice President’s Report: Scott Prigan  – scottprigan+fpca [at] gmail [dot] com

  1. Still working on the 501(c)(3). This should be submitted to the fed’l gov’t very soon. We then have to wait for them to approve it.

Secretary’s Report: Lou Bernard – loubernard3 [at] gmail [dot] com

  1. Minutes from last month’s meeting are approved.

Treasurer’s Report: Dan Hartzell – danbob1 [at] email [dot] com

  1. Dan went through line items on the budget, check it out in The Forester to see last month and the year to date. We are under budget again. Feel free to review this in this  issue. We are still under budget, but this is mostly due to not having to publish the Forester a few times earlier in the year.
  2. FPCA is down 17 memberships year to date, 60 for the year. If you haven’t submitted your membership payment, please help us out. It’s EASY, got the website and you can use PayPal.

  3. The report and budget was accepted and passed.

Public Relations Officer’s Report: Mary Sguerra –  mary.sguerra [at] herrealtors [dot] com 

  1. There is a neighbor on Pine Knoll who is reporting that a person on their street has a military vehicle that is parked in the driveway. The person comes to start it up and it is very loud. They wanted to know what can be done about this. Mary is going to check it out, but unfortunately there is not much that can be done, because it is on the owner’s property. Mary suggested calling 311 to the caller.
  2. Mary received a thank you’s from T. Dove and A. Hunt, winners of one of the Beautification Awards.

The Forester Editor’s Report: Rita Woeste  –  forester_ed [at] fpca [dot] org

  1. Everything went out on time for August. David McLaughlin may need more supplies (therefore more money from the Treasurer). We are still looking for volunteers to deliver, esp. FP East.

   2. We have had nice articles from lots of new people. Keep them coming.

  1. September due date for October articles: September 17th, delivery on the 25th!! Oct. articles are due to Rita by 10/15.
  2. We are still looking for more volunteers to stuff and deliver Foresters. Please contact Rita if you can help.

Supplemental Security Officer’s Report: Daryl and Katie Van Marcetta  – dvanmercetta [at] gmail [dot] com 

  1. There have been calls made to Daryl based on the military vehicle and other parked cars in the street. They have been reported to 311 and to the Supplemental Security. It is difficult for us to do anything. If people move the cars after the tires have been marked, there is nothing that can be done. We will look into whether it is a commercial vehicle. If it is a personal vehicle, there is not much we can do. We are sorry. 
  2. Daryl is asking for money to increase the number of security patrols on the weekends as we are approaching winter. It would cost an extra $125/mo. The Board will look into whether this is feasible or not.

Committee Reports

Business Representative’s Report: Sheridan Landin – sheridanlandon [at] yahoo [dot] com | Alan Ray – aray.bergahorn [at] gmail [dot] com

  1. Sheridan has been visiting businesses along 161, dropping off Foresters and business member applications hoping to drum up advertisers. Keep up the good work, Sheridan!

Social Activities Committee Chair’s Report: Pam Weaver – pweaver1208 [at] gmail [dot] com – Absent – No Report

Welcome Committee Chair’s Report: Ellin Ray – eclaire1226 [at] gmail [dot] com – No Report, she is not visiting households during the Covid pandemic.  

Volunteer Coordinator/Membership Committee Chair’s Report: Mike Stone – msto0103 [at] yahoo [dot] com 

  1. Mike is going to cross check all people who have submitted memberships, and then do a door drop to people who have not signed up yet. Looking for volunteers to help. He would like to have this completed in the first week in October.
  2. Thanks to all those participated in the Beautification Awards, lots of nominations! It was great to get out and meet the people who were winners! They met the winners! Everyone was so excited to win, and were very appreciative. 
  3. Neighbors who were at the meeting via Zoom got to introduce themselves.

Northland Community Council Dvpt. Committee Representative’s Report: Ed Vanasdale – evanasdale [at] insight [dot] rr [dot] com | Dave Paul – dwpaul [at] fpcivic [dot] org

  1. There were questions about the storage facility in the old Giant Eagle on 161: are they storing too many vehicles on their lot? The answer is “no”, those vehicles are used by the facility’s customers to move their things too and from the facility. The organization as been doing a very good job complying with all of the rules that were established.
  2. There was a meeting, 2 cases. 2410 Stimple Ave, has hired atty. to help out, since they were denied last month. The other cases were tabled as well. 3rd case was looking to put a Sheetz gas station in the old Walgreen’s across from the old Giant Eagle. The city is planning to re-route Roche Dr., behind the auto parts store and the old Walgreen’s. It doesn’t seem to be a problem.
  3. Library construction is progressing. A resident on FB wants to know what is happening with the old property. There are conceptual plans, but nothing specific is progressing. Contact the NCC to find out more.
  4. The city is still working on the Hedgewood property. The city can’t locate the owners, but they are continuing to move forward with the cases against the property.
  5. Maple Canyon Nat’l Church Residence property is underway. Groundbreaking recently.

Northland Community Council Representative’s Report: Scott Prigan  – scottprigan+fpca [at] gmail [dot] com – No Report

Website Administrator’s Report: Scott Prigan  – scottprigan+fpca [at] gmail [dot] com – Please check out the website and subscribe. That is where all the official info comes out first.

Old Business 

  1. Sympathy card for the family of the FP resident who passed away in the fire on Tamarack Blvd. Approved. It is believed that Felix took care of this. He will be asked. 
  2. FPCA sign on Maple Canyon needs replacing. Ed V. will contact Mary S. to the extra sign she has, and he and Lou B. will replace the one on Maple Canyon.

New Business

  1. Long time member and area rep. Eric Kreig will be leaving the neighborhood and moving to a downtown apartment. Good luck on the move we will miss you. Go Blue Jackets!
  2. Shout out to Bonnie F. for the great work keeping people informed on the Nextdoor App. Thanks for your activism!
  3. Remember that many of the panhandlers are coming from the homeless hotel that is housing Covid positive people. Be careful if you are donating to them.

8:19 pm Meeting Adjourned

Submitted by Lou Bernard, FPCA Secretary

Forest Park Civic Association Meeting Minutes August 2020

Forest Park Civic Association Meeting

11 August 2020 – Online Zoom Meeting

Meeting called to order and Pledge of Allegiance opened the meeting @ 7:00 PM byFelix Quachey

Roll Call: Taken by Lou Bernard  –  loubernard3 [at] gmail [dot] com

Attendance: Officers and Committee Chairs in Attendance: FQ, SP, DH, LB, RW, MS, EV, SL,AR, MS, ER

Officers and Committee Chairs Absent: PW, DVM, KVM

Area Representatives in attendance: 3, 11

Area Representatives Absent: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14

 

Officer’s Reports

President’s Report: Felix Quachey – fquachey [at] AmFam [dot] com

  1. Welcomed all to the 1st August meeting in a really long time. In past years, we would be at the NCC Picnic for this meeting.
  2. Guest Speakers: Officer Scott Clinger and City Attorney Sarah Pomeroy. Sarah is the city attorney assigned to our area in the city-Police Zone 1. She is working shootings on 5301 Hedgewood Ave. by filing a Nuisance Abatement suit against the property owners by the end of the week. At this point, both Sarah and Scott believe the property to be vacant. There is a problem house on 5337 Karl Rd. It is believed the 2 properties are retaliating against each other, but that is not confirmed. From Scott Clinger: There has been an uptick in violent crime in the area. So if something looks suspicious, please call it in! You will be kept anonymous. There have been concerns raised that the Covid Positive site for the homeless is not keeping its residents in quarantine. Sarah will be looking into this to work with the directors of the homeless program about these issues. Atty. Steve Dunbar is working on this issue as well. Questions and concerns can be directed here: Sarah: 614-645-8619, scpomeroy [at] columbus [dot] gov   Scott: 614-645-1418, sclinger [at] columbuspolice [dot] org  

Vice President’s Report: Scott Prigan  – scottprigan+fpca [at] gmail [dot] com  – No Report

Secretary’s Report: Lou Bernard – loubernard3 [at] gmail [dot] com

  1. The executive board has been meeting to prepare the FPCA to apply for 501(c)(3) status in order to become a non-profit organization. A pros and cons list was presented, and discussion took place. A vote was taken and the motion passed that we will proceed with filing for non-profit status.

Treasurer’s Report: Dan Hartzell – danbob1 [at] email [dot] com

  1. FPCA is down 40 memberships year to date–476 total memberships. Not bad considering all that is going on!
  2. Dan went through line items on the budget, check it out in The Forester to see last month and the year to date. We are under budget again.
  3. New business membership: Forest Park Christian School
  4. The report and budget was accepted and passed.

The Forester Editor’s Report: Rita Woeste  –  forester_ed [at] fpca [dot] org

  1. The Beautification Awards Committee will most likely be paying home visits to the winners of the awards to take some pictures. And maybe make some signs for their front yards.
  2. Still working on getting the stuffing procedure streamlined during this pandemic period.
  3. All future articles are due to Rita on the 18th of every month. We are always looking for articles. Rita discussed the timeline for stuffing and distribution of The Forester. September due date for October articles: September 17th!!
  4. Kudos to George Schmidt for his very positive article on the front page of August’s Forester! Thanks George.
  5. Rita would like to get Keith Hanson from the library to write a small article about all of the good things going on there.
  6. We are still looking for more volunteers to stuff and deliver Foresters. Please contact Rita if you can help.

Public Relations Officer’s Report: Mary Sguerra –  mary.sguerra [at] herrealtors [dot] com – No Report

Supplemental Security Officer’s Report: Daryl and Katie Van Marcetta  –  dvanmercetta [at] gmail [dot] com – Absent – Report emailed in 

  1. We addressed everything Daryl and Katie have been hearing about with our guest speakers tonight.

 

Committee Reports

Business Representative’s Report: Sheridan Landin – sheridanlandon [at] yahoo [dot] com | Alan Ray – aray.bergahorn [at] gmail [dot] com

  1. Forest Park Christian School is a new business member. Due to Covid, they are not doing a lot of face to face with local business owners. 

Social Activities Committee Chair’s Report: Pam Weaver – pweaver1208 [at] gmail [dot] com – Absent 

  1. There will be no National Night Out this year due to the pandemic. Postponing until October, however that may change.

Welcome Committee Chair’s Report: Ellin Ray – eclaire1226 [at] gmail [dot] com – No Report  

Volunteer Coordinator/Membership Committee Chair’s Report: Mike Stone – msto0103 [at] yahoo [dot] com 

  1. We are not going to have the door-to-door membership blitz, like we usually do. We will see what happens later on in the pandemic.
  2. Mike is looking to get 70 more memberships! Come on people, help us reach our goal. Let’s keep Mike happy!
  3. Getting ready to go through the Volunteer Forms and see what people would like to work on.
  4. Masks for Seniors: We have distributed 70+ masks to Senior based households in FPCA. People are still thanking FPCA for their work in this area. We still have more masks. Please contact Mike via email if you need one or two.
  5. Thanks to all those participated in the Beautification Awards, lots of nominations! Winners will be announced in the Forester.

Northland Community Council Dvpt. Committee Representative’s Report: Ed Vanasdale – evanasdale [at] insight [dot] rr [dot] com | Dave Paul – dwpaul [at] fpcivic [dot] org

  1. Only 2 presentations: A) Russell Tree Service wants to buy a property from Walt Reiner’s estate in the old Johnny Appleseed Industrial Park. They want to be able to make mulch for their landscaping business, not for retail. B) The Mid Ohio Food Collective is looking for property in the Northland Area. They were looking to purchase the Haimerl Center, but Ascension Luthern had already gone into contract with someone else to purchase the property.
  2. Rt. 161 & Maple Canyon Round-a-bout. The city is now ready to share info about this project. They will be meeting with NCC leadership this week (Aug.13), and will have an open meeting later on. Check out info about the project here: https://publicinput.com/H718

Northland Community Council Representative’s Report: Scott Prigan  – scottprigan+fpca [at] gmail [dot] com

  1. NCC talked extensively about the Hedgewood shooting incident.
  2. Keith Hanson, from Col. Metro. Library Karl Rd. Branch, visited and talked about all of the good things going on there.
  3. Shannon Hardin (City Council President) was present to discuss “Reimagining Public Safety”.
  4. Also discussed voter outreach going on in Columbus.

Website Administrator’s Report: Scott Prigan  – scottprigan+fpca [at] gmail [dot] com – No Report

 

Old Business 

None

 

New Business

  1. Sympathy card for the family of the FP resident who passed away in the fire on Tamarack Blvd. Approved.
  2. FPCA sign on Maple Canyon needs replacing. This was brought up months ago, but it still hasn’t been replaced. MAry has a replacement sign. A motion was made and passed to get estimates of replacement cost for signs. City Sign Co. made the old signs. 

 

8:48 pm Meeting Adjourned

Submitted by Lou Bernard, FPCA Secretary