Forest Park Civic Association Meeting
12 October 2021 – Epworth United Methodist Church
Meeting called to order and Pledge of Allegiance opened the meeting @ 7:02 PM by Scott Prigan
President’s Report Scott Prigan email@example.com
- Spam phishing is still occurring: see Email and TEXT spam schemes https://www.fpcivic.org/2021/08/email-and-text-spam-schemes/
- Homeless update: see Ryan’s report
- Homeless /Panhandlers:
- Compassion is advised
- donate to organization first
- not all panhandlers are homeless …
- Budget cycle pattern (see Cheryl’s comments)
- 501c3 …We have no info. Scott is ready to begin making phone calls to legislators to help us out.
- Outreach to new neighbors – all ambassadors, and I’d love to hear connections
Vice President’s Report Ryan Finke firstname.lastname@example.org Absent
- A concerned resident called a couple of weeks ago asking what was happening at the Americas Best Value Inn Columbus located at 1289 E Dublin Granville Rd, Columbus, OH 43229. The resident shared that they saw security personnel wearing face masks, many COVID-19 testing boxes on the ground, and many sickly looking people behind the inn.
After contacting our area’s City Liaison, Alfred Akainyah, Ryan was connected with Steve Skovensky, Director of Programs & Planning at Community Shelter Board.
Steve gave Ryan a phone call and told him that this motel has been used during the pandemic by the Community Shelter Board with help from the YMCA and Lower Lights Christian Health Center to house people experiencing homelessness and quarantining due to COVID. He reassured him that the operations are very strict there. Guests are not allowed to leave their rooms except to go on the balcony at alternating times to other guests.
The Community Shelter Board has also shared and answered questions at the June 2021 Northland Community Council meeting. He welcomes any further questions or concerns. His contact information is: email@example.com and (773) 597-5224.
- Ryan is continuing to work on creating promotional materials to help explain the value of the Forest Park Civic Association. If you would like to weigh in, please contact him.
Secretary’s Report Lou Bernard firstname.lastname@example.org
- Officers Present: SP, LB, CL, RW, MS, SL, AR, ER, KG, EV, DP
- Officers Absent: RF, DVM, KVM, MS, LKB
- Area Reps in Attendance: 2, 5, 7, 11
- Area Reps Absent: 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14 (Areas 13 & 14 are vacant)
- Minutes from last month were reviewed and accepted. They are posted on the website as well as in the Forester.
Treasurer’s Report Cheryl Lutman email@example.com
- Our budget is based on us having $14,125 in membership income (that’s just the $25 membership). As you all know, we get the bulk of that in May/June/July. With memberships slowing down, you will see that we should be at $13,650, and we are at $11,405. We realize we still have about 6 months to go, so hopefully we catch up.
- Supplemental security is budgeted to be $6,500 for the year. Again, with membership income slowing down, contributions to the security fund slow down. We’ve received $1,750 in direct contributions to that fund – the remainder comes from the general membership dollars.
- The Forester has two income streams – one is the advertising revenue, and the other is people who donate to that fund. We had budgeted $9,000 from those two income streams, with the expenses (printing, bags, etc.) to be $14,000. Right now, we’re a bit ahead of our income target, but again, the remainder of the cost of the Forester comes from the membership dollars.
- A note to Lisa Dove (and Liz Kengeter-Bash, we had budgeted $750 for social activities. We have not used any of that yet.
Public Relations Report Mary Sguerra Mary.Sguerra@HERrealtors.com (Absent)
- There have not been a lot of phone calls about negative activity going on.
- The garage sale was a success. We had good weather and we had a great time.
Forester Editor’s Report Rita Woeste firstname.lastname@example.org
- November articles due October 21st, December articles are due Nov. 11.
- We don’t know what streets are not getting served. This info needs to be documented.
- We also need people to help with deliveries. Please contact Rita if you are willing to help.
- The business reps are passing out Forester copies to have out in their establishments.
- We are down on advertising revenue.
Supplemental Security Report Daryl Van Mercetta email@example.com, Katie Van Mercetta firstname.lastname@example.org (Absent) Officer Dan Yandrich (CPD Liaison Officer) email@example.com 614.645.1418 No report-all were absent.
- Stewart has been canvassing the area. He has visited about 30 businesses in the last few years. We have no new memberships this month.
- If you know any local business owners or are one yourself, contact Stewart or Alan to learn how FPCA can work with you.
Welcome Committee Chair Ellin Ray – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ellin has Welcome Folders for each area ready to be picked up! Area Reps need to attend the monthly meeting to pick up the folders for delivery.
Volunteer Coordinator Mike Stone email@example.com Absent – No report
Social Activities Report Liz Kengeter-Bash firstname.lastname@example.org Absent – No Report.
NCC Representative Ken Gilbert email@example.com (Absent)
- Zach Klein spoke on police interactions with civilians; what they can do and not do. He said that people with previous records are not being released without jail time. This was debated and is still up for debate.
- The July 4th Parade is on!!
- The Karl Rd. library is open. If you haven’t been in to see it, we urge you to, it is awesome. There will soon be a Columbus Dispatch mobile office opening behind the library.
- Sarah Pomeroy, the Columbus city attorney, is working hard on the hotel/homeless issue.
- Discussed the 2018 Charter Amendment to the city constitution about the election of city council members and the “districting” of the city.
- 5801 Karl Rd (old Long John Silver) was looking for a variance to have advertising on 3 sides of their building. They will take down the pole sign as a compromise. The variance was granted.
- 4848 Morse Rd. by Sam’s Club, Easton-looking for a variance to put up a sign for their dermatology office. Variance granted. They were also granted a variance from the setback allowance.
- The dog boarding site in front of Minerva Park, is under new owners and wanted a variance to keep the business open until all past paperwork is completed. Variance granted.
- IF you have any questions contact the NCC or any of the above people.
Website Administrator Scott Prigan firstname.lastname@example.org (Absent)
- FPCIVIC.ORG is our website. Make sure to sign up for updates.
- Sign Committee update: Signs have been purchased and paid for, but have not yet been put up.
- Herb Crites, long time member of the FCPA, recently passed away.
- The new Carfagna’s is open. We are sad to see them leave, but the new store is nice. Resident Bob Hinebaugh has provided them with old time pictures of Italy that they are using in their restaurant.
Meeting adjourned at 8:20 PM